Thursday, August 16, 2007

You Know Your Getting Old When...


I was recently flipping through an issue of Rolling Stone magazine and was suddenly reminded why I rarely read this particular publication. There staring at me on page 52 was was one of those unwelcome reminders I get so often. You know the kind. The ones that scream in your ear, "You getting to be an old mother fucker!"

The reminder came in the image of a photo of legendary guitarist Eric Clapton looking surprisingly like my 78 year old Dad, shortly before he died. Bad hat, plaid shorts and a camera around his neck, standing next to... are you ready for this... Johnny Winter. That's right legendary rocker and blues guitarist Johnny Winter, looking surprisingly like my Dad after his death.

So I went to the official Johnny Winter website and surprise, surprise all of the photos of him are about 20 years old, still looking like a real rock and roller. Even more surprising is he still has the strength to tour as well. The website goes on to state Johnny was born in 1944 making him 63... a really old looking 63. His brother Edgar would now be 60 and still tours as well.

But my cowboy hat is off to this great Texan but do me a favor and grow the beard and the long hair (if possible) back.

No comments: